Many of us have been impacted by outbreaks of disease in our lifetimes. Throughout history, humans have battled outbreaks of disease; many have lost their lives to diseases before treatments and cures were discovered. Modern science and medicine have become efficient in developing vaccines and medications to control and treat outbreaks, but whether the diseases will ever truly be eradicated is in question. Considering how many of these infectious diseases exist and how easily they spread, it is important to remember safety issues to reduce and prevent transmission.
For your initial post, reflect over the past decade and recall a news-breaking infectious outbreak of a disease that made an impact on you. Please include a link to a news article or video related to your outbreak in your initial post. Include the following in your post:
- Disease name
- Infectious agent (is the disease bacterial, viral, or fungal? List the specific organism (genus species)
- Mode of transmission
- Signs and symptoms of the disease
- Treatment (or treatments) available
- Try not to duplicate another classmate’s topic (make your subject line is your disease so it is easy to check)
- Explain how that story changed the way you interacted with people family or friends.