Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- This assignment requires that you support your position by referencing six to eight scholarly resources. At least three of your supporting references must be from scholarly sources other than the assigned readings.
- You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
Write a paper (1,500-1,750 words) discussing the role of quality or safety in nursing practice. Include the following:
- In your own words define quality and safety measures and describe their relationship and role in nursing practice today.
- Create a table that identifies three barriers and three facilitators or methods for addressing the barriers in today’s health care that impact both patient outcomes and organizational outcomes. Evaluate two of the barriers and provide solutions for how health care organizations can overcome them. Describe two of the facilitators or methods and explain how the facilitators or methods will assist overcoming or reducing barriers. Attach the table as an appendix to your paper.
- Identify a health care entity. Provide an overall description of this entity without using the real name (e.g., location, size, profit or nonprofit, years in operation). In addition to not using the name of the health care entity, do not use the name of any person described.
- Select a specific contemporary quality and/or safety issue that is measured at the health care entity and explain how that measure is applied in nursing practice. You will use this selected issue for all quality and sustainability assignments.
- Describe the current quality and/or safety program the health care entity has in place to address the quality and/or safety issue you selected. Describe the key quality measures or components currently used to analyze the health care program’s outcome. Discuss what is working and what is not working.
- Summarize the specific variables used to track improvement of the health care quality and/or safety program’s outcome.
Werlau, T., Soares-Sardinha, S., Overman, A. S., Chutz, J., Emory, J., Jones, C. M., Lee, G., & Smith-Miller, C. A. (2020). Creating microclimates of change: Transparency in disseminating nursing quality performance data. JONA: The Journal of Nursing Administration, 50(7/8), 385-395. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0000000000000905
Graves, L. Y., Tamez, P., Wallen, G. R., & Saligan, L. N. (2021). Defining the role of individuals prepared as a doctor of nurse practice in symptoms science research. Nursing Outlook, 69(4), 542-549. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2021.01.013
Kennedy, K., Campis, S., & Leclerc, L. (2020). Human-centered leadership: Creating change from the inside out. Nurse Leader, 18(3), 227–231. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mnl.2020.03.009
Regional Center for Disease Control and Prevention. (2020, December 17). Health outcomes measure [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W2GuZO853Q