Nurses are faced with situations where legal and ethical considerations are complex and sometimes don’t have a simple or clear solution. Unfortunately, nurses are frequently held accountable in these complex situations, which is why it is important for nurses to understand what they can and can’t do, what they will be accountable for, and what they are responsible for. In this assessment, you will analyze a complex topic from an ethical and legal perspective. You should also analyze its impact on nurses and accountability.
Select 1 of the following topics *which is different than your group topic from week 4:
- Health care as a right or privilege
- Futile care
- Needle exchange
- Euthanasia and assisted suicide
- Clinical uses for illicit substances (e.g., medical marijuana, MDMA for PTSD)
- Another topic approved by your instructor
Research your selected topic.
Analyze a nurse’s legal responsibilities related to your selected topic.
Analyze a nurse’s ethical responsibilities related to your selected topic.
Take a position on the topic and explain your position in detail.
Summarize the steps in the ethical decision-making model you employed and the process used to arrive at your position.
Discuss how your position affects nurses and how nurses can be held accountable in situations related to your selected topic.
Cite at least 3 evidence-based, peer-reviewed sources published within the last 5 years to support your position(s).
Format your assignment as one of the following:
- 675-word paper
Include an APA-formatted reference list.
Please note instructions and follow all
- Summarize ethical situation/case study at beginning of paper
- Always cite where you got the case study from- it is considered a reference, especially if you quote it!
- When the assignment states to take a position- take a position! Make sure to justify your position with literature to strengthen it. Just including how you feel is not attaining the scholarly level.
- Legal and ethical responsibilities =The assignment fully analyzed a nurse’s legal and ethical responsibilities related to the selected topic.
- Explanation of position – the assignment fully explained the chosen position on the topic in detail.
- Decision making models – the assignment fully summarized the steps in the ethical decision-making model employed and the process used to arrive at the chosen position
- Nurse accountability – the assignment fully described how the chosen position would affect nurses and how nurses could be held accountable in the situation related to the topic.
- Communication – the assignment concise with exceptional attention to details and was free of errors.
- APA guidelines – please include correct APA citations and sources.