Remember, this is your “burning” clinical question you want an answer to.
- Post your PICOT question.
- Follow the Rubric instructions below to complete your PICOT Discussion Post.
- Post your initial post by Wednesday, 1159, and respond to at least two of your colleagues/classmates by Saturday 1159.
Grading: A rubric is provided to explain the criteria for points and how you will be graded for your PICO/PICOT post.
- Patient Population of interest: What populations are you interested in?
- Intervention/Issue: What intervention are you interested in?
- Comparison Intervention: What will the intervention be compared to?
- Outcomes: What outcome do you want to see?
- Time: What time frame for or duration of the study?
Patient population of interest: Women aged 40-50 years old with a history of breast cancer and are currently in remission.
Intervention/Issue: The use of aromatase inhibitors as a maintenance therapy to prevent breast cancer recurrence.
Comparison intervention: No use of aromatase inhibitors as maintenance therapy.
Outcomes: Reduction in the incidence of breast cancer recurrence and improvement in overall survival rates.
Time: The study will be conducted for a minimum of 5 years.
This PICOT question is relevant to the clinical management of women with a history of breast cancer as the risk of recurrence is a significant concern. Aromatase inhibitors have been shown to be effective in reducing the incidence of breast cancer recurrence. However, there is a need to investigate the use of these drugs as maintenance therapy to prevent recurrence. By conducting a randomized controlled trial, it will be possible to determine the efficacy of aromatase inhibitors as maintenance therapy and compare it to standard treatment. The study will also provide information on the safety and side effects of the drug, which is essential in ensuring the optimal clinical management of women with a history of breast cancer.