Prepare a 000-1250 word paper that presents your assessment and proposes a strategic plan to ensure readiness. Include the following:
- Describe the health care organization or network.
- Describe the organization’s overall readiness based on your findings.
- Prepare a strategic plan to address issues pertaining to network growth, nurse staffing, resource management, and patient satisfaction.
- Identify any current or potential issues within the organizational culture and discuss how these issues may affect aspects of the strategic plan.
- Propose a theory or model that could be used to support implementation of the strategic plan for this organization. Explain why this theory or model is best.
You are required to cite a minimum of three sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be appropriate for the assignment and relevant to nursing practice.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
As healthcare organizations strive to meet the needs of their patients, it is essential for them to be equipped with the necessary resources, infrastructure, and human capital to provide high-quality care. In this essay, I will assess the readiness of a healthcare organization and propose a strategic plan to ensure it is prepared to address issues pertaining to network growth, nurse staffing, resource management, and patient satisfaction.
Healthcare Organization Description
The healthcare organization I have chosen is a large hospital network that provides a range of medical services to its patients, including emergency care, inpatient and outpatient services, surgery, and primary care. The network consists of four hospitals and several outpatient clinics. The organization is well-established and has been in operation for over fifty years, serving a diverse population.
Overall Readiness Assessment
Based on my findings, the organization is overall ready to address challenges related to network growth, nurse staffing, resource management, and patient satisfaction. The organization has a strong leadership team that is committed to providing high-quality care to patients. The leadership has also invested in a robust technological infrastructure that enables efficient communication, data management, and record-keeping.
However, the organization faces several challenges that could impede its ability to provide optimal care. One of the primary challenges is nurse staffing. The hospital is facing a shortage of nurses, particularly in specialty areas such as critical care, emergency, and pediatrics. The organization also needs to address issues related to network growth, resource management, and patient satisfaction.
To address the challenges facing the healthcare organization, the following strategic plan is proposed:
- Network Growth: The organization should invest in expanding its network by adding new clinics and services to meet the growing demand for healthcare services. This could be achieved through strategic partnerships with other healthcare providers or by acquiring smaller healthcare facilities in the area.
- Nurse Staffing: The organization should develop a comprehensive plan to recruit and retain nurses, particularly in specialty areas. This could include offering competitive salaries, professional development opportunities, and a supportive work environment.
- Resource Management: The organization should adopt a data-driven approach to resource management by investing in technology that enables efficient resource allocation. This could include a computerized system for inventory management and real-time monitoring of patient flow.
- Patient Satisfaction: The organization should prioritize patient satisfaction by implementing measures such as regular patient feedback surveys, staff training on patient-centered care, and investments in patient amenities such as comfortable waiting areas and private rooms.
Issues Related to Organizational Culture
There are current issues within the organizational culture that could affect aspects of the strategic plan. One of the primary issues is resistance to change. The organization has a history of being resistant to change, which could impede efforts to implement new initiatives. The organization also has a hierarchical culture, which could hinder communication and collaboration among staff.
Theory or Model to Support Implementation of the Strategic Plan
The model proposed to support the implementation of the strategic plan is Lewin’s Change Management Model. This model proposes that change occurs in three stages: unfreezing, change, and refreezing. The unfreezing stage involves creating awareness of the need for change, the change stage involves implementing the change, and the refreezing stage involves stabilizing the change to ensure it becomes a permanent part of the organizational culture. This model is best suited to support the implementation of the strategic plan because it emphasizes the importance of creating awareness of the need for change and involves a collaborative approach to change management.
In conclusion, the proposed strategic plan will enable the healthcare organization to address the challenges facing it, including nurse staffing, resource management, network growth, and patient satisfaction. The implementation of the plan will require a data-driven approach, investments in technology and infrastructure, and a focus on patient-centered care. The proposed Lewin’s Change Management Model will ensure successful implementation