Acupuncture vs pharmacotherapeutics for patients with chronic low back pain
For your signature assignment, you will write a scholarly case study that will compare and contrast two possible ways of treating a chronic health condition.
Select a chronic health issue you may have encountered in your clinical rotations. You may either recall a real patient you saw with this condition or you may create a fictitious patient for the paper. You will write a paper about this patient where you will compare and contrast two different ways of treating the problem, both with published peer-reviewed literature to support the treatment plans. After analyzing the options, you will choose the most appropriate plan for the patient’s scenario, based on their unique and individual health needs and desires. A SOAP note is not required and should not be submitted as an appendix. To support your progression in master’s level writing, you will integrate subjective and objective information into the paper to create a scholarly case study, in third-person language, worthy of publication.
Include the following information in your case study:
- Introduction: Introduce the patient demographics, complaints, and discuss key concepts related to the topic
- Setting and social dynamics (community clinic, private practice, skilled nursing facility, support system, etc.)
- Subjective information: Chief complaint, HPI, PMH, PSH, FH, SH, ROS
- Objective information: Physical exam and any known results
- Medical decision-making and clinical impression (diagnosis)
- Introduction of two different evidence-based, peer-reviewed articles or treatment guidelines for the chosen diagnosis
- Compare and contrast the two treatment options or approaches
- Assess and include analysis of the merit and soundness of research (i.e. discuss which treatment has more research or better research)
- Indicate which treatment option was chosen for the patient scenario and provide justification on why it was better for them
- Include specific plans or interventions, recommendations, education, health promotion, and follow-up as needed for the case
- Discuss possible or real cultural and socioeconomic considerations or how you would ensure equitable, inclusive care for your patient
- Conclusion: Include a summary of the case study and lessons learned
Submit a scholarly paper, written in the third person with APA 7th edition writing style at the graduate level. Include a title page, text with correct headings, and references. Do not include an abstract. Do not write the paper as a SOAP note, and do not include a SOAP note as an appendix. This is a scholarly case study. Limit the paper to 5-8 pages of text, not including the title page or references.